Thursday 29 October 2015

La Kitchenette Souris: Creamy Yellow Squash Soup

One of my penpals, ~Megan from Little Hot Tamale~, sent me a recipe in her latest letter, and since I had an extra squash that I needed to do something with, I thought I would give it a try! 

It turned out so well & my parents enjoyed it enough, that I ended up making a second batch to put into the freezer!

So thanks, Megan, you need to send more recipes! *heehee* 

Now I should mention I used a spaghetti squash & it worked really well, so I am not sure if that is different from a "yellow squash"... but just in case it is, you know that it works great too! 

I served this with Sour Cream Biscuits, except I made them in mini form this time!
The flavor is perfect to go with this soup, and mini biscuits would work so well for a tea party...


Creamy Yellow Squash Soup


3 1/2 pounds (8 cups) yellow squash, roughly chopped 
2 ounces (1/4 cup) shallots, finely minced
1 1/2 quarts (6 cups) vegetable stock
6 Tablespoons rolled oats
1 ounce (2 Tablespoons) parsley, chopped
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper

Saute shallots in olive oil until soft.
Add squash, cover, and reduce heat to low. 
Cook for 8 minutes.

Remove cover, stir in stock until vegetables are covered.
(I didn't have any remaining stock, but if you do, you can reserve this for later, if you need it)

Add oatmeal.
Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until squash is tender, approx 15-20 minutes.

In batches, puree in a blender until smooth, adding more reserved stock if soup is too thick.
Now, I just used a potato masher and mashed the chunks right in the pot. It turned out really well! A hearty type soup.
But if you prefer it smooth & more creamy, then definitely, you will want to puree this. 

To serve, ladle into warm bowls, and top with chopped parsley, a drizzle of olive oil, and a twist of ground black pepper. 


These are the biscuits I served with the soup.

You can find the recipe for Sour Cream Biscuits ~HERE~ 


No comments:

Post a Comment