Thursday 2 April 2015

The Miracle Of Easter

I always feel so very disturbed when I walk through the stores this time of year...

I love all the beautiful pastel colors, the darling bunnies & chicks, and the yummy treats are always welcomed in this rodent's nest. 
But what does any of that have to do with Easter now? 

How many people even know why Easter exists or where these traditions came from?
Do they stop to consider the religious meanings behind the symbols?
Are we teaching our children why Easter is to be celebrated? 



We lie to our children & tell them about the easter bunny. 
We let them assume that all Easter is about is fancy family gatherings, lots of candy & chocolate, treasure hunts, & time off from school. 

Let me share with you what some of the common items associated with Easter actually stand for:

Egg: A symbol of birth & renewal.
Bunny Rabbit: All creatures great & small, the Lord God made them all...
Candle: Christ is the Light of the World.
Dove: A sign of the Holy Spirit. 
Cross: The symbol for Christianity & a reminder of our Only Hope.


There is not much I can do to change the way of the world.

Yet I will continue to do what I can.

I will say, "Christ Is Risen!" 
I will share the true meaning of Easter with those I can in the ways I am able.
If I have children one day, they will know about the Savior who sent His Son to die on the cross for our sins & who is most certainly not dead, but rose again. 



But mostly, I will remember & be grateful for Saving Grace.... the grace that was born this weekend, so very many many years ago & that continues to abound today. 

And so I wish you a very blessed Easter. 

Hallelujah. Christ is Risen!


A favorite song of mine, "Because He Lives"


"Because He Lives"
God sent His Son
They called Him Jesus
He came to love, heal and forgive
He lived and died to buy my pardon
An empty grave is there to prove my Saviour lives

Because He lives I can face tomorrow
Because He lives all fear is gone
Because I know He holds the future
And life is worth the living just because He lives

And then one day
I'll cross that river
I'll fight life's final war with pain
And then as death gives way to vict'ry
I'll see the lights of glory and I'll know he lives

Because He lives I can face tomorrow
Because He lives all fear is gone
Because I know He holds the future
And life is worth the living just because He lives

3 comments:

  1. What a blessing to read. My boys know the true meaning. Often calling today Bad Friday, saying how thankful they are that Jesus died for them. We have bible studies all weekend and remember all that was done for us. Great post Bekah! #ChristLives

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these thoughts. Oh that people would know the truth of Jesus. We celebrate His life and Him giving us LIFE - hope, eternity, a fully alive life. Thank you for this reminder! (& weird but I'm just now finding your blog! I don't know how I've missed it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, Bekah. Easter is not eggs and bunnies and such -- these are the world's idea of a cheery substitute. It is about the cross.

    ReplyDelete