Wednesday 4 March 2015

La Kitchenette Souris : Toria's Crispy Marinated Chicken

I found this recipe in a lovely cookbook by Lisa Faulkner, "From My Mother, For My Daughter"... now if I can just get my paws on her other two cookbooks... 
(British cookbooks are hard to find in Canada sometimes)

Important note: If you don't like lemons, I highly suggest not trying this recipe out.
It is very lemon-y and quite strong.
You could cut back on the lemons, or even bake your potatoes & carrots separately because the chicken wasn't as strong as the vegetables were.
However, if you love the tangy-ness of lemons, then by all means, try this recipe!
I personally, loved the chicken being that zippy.... 

The recipe didn't call for carrots, but I had some extra that I wanted to use up, so I tossed them in, and frankly, it was a good addition! You could also easily add celery or onions or even peas or beans and I am sure it would work out just fine.

Basically, adjust it to suit your tastes or needs or dietary restrictions. It's flexible that way!

I will post the recipe precisely as it is in the book, though, just in case you want to try it that way.


Toria's Crispy Marinated Chicken


7-15 chicken pieces, bone in, skin on
(you could do more or less, and just add more or less olive oil & lemon juice to properly cover the chicken)
2 lemons
2 Tablespoons freshly chopped tarragon
2 Tablespoons olive oil
Approx 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, scrubbed & cut into slices
(again adjust the amount depending on how many you are serving, and you could peel the skins off if you aren't fond of skins on)
1 teaspoon paprika
Salt & freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400F.

Lightly cut the skin of the chicken portions, about 3 times on each.

Grate the rind of the lemons & squeeze the juice from both into a mixing bowl.
Add the tarragon, olive oil, salt, & pepper.
Add the chicken & use your hands to coat all the pieces in the marinade. 

Put the potato slices in the base of a roasting tin & drizzle with a little olive oil.
Arrange the slices, preferably in one layer, but it doesn't matter if they overlap a little bit.
(Mine certainly did!)

Place a wire rack on top of the potatoes & arrange the chicken pieces on the rack.
Sprinkle with paprika.



Roast in the preheated over for 30-40 minutes (I think I did mine an hour & a half because we like things well done), until the chicken is browned & cooked through.
(The potatoes do get a tad crispy on the edges)

No comments:

Post a Comment