Monday 16 February 2015

La Kitchenette Souris : Valentine's Day Ideas

I thought I would share with you the few photos I took this Valentine's Day, and a couple recipes, which will hopefully give you some ideas for next year, or even for other small, simple parties.

I didn't really do extreme-fancy this year ~ frankly, my heart wasn't in it.

But I tried to do a little something, because trying and not quite succeeding is always better than not trying at all, eh? 

And you never know.
Inspiring someone else never really seems like a complete failure to me!

Here we go!

Something I did not take a photo of is a....

Quick & Easy Punch
1 litre Gingerale 
1 can frozen fruit or berry punch (as long as its red)
Couple drops red food coloring (so that you have red punch & not orange)
Mix all together & serve immediately!

Napkins, confetti, and straws... which I ended up not using since I didn't set the table... 
But as an idea, a few red and white vintage pieces add a lovely touch!

I used paper doilies, pictures, and magnets, plus a piece of poetry to make the fridge pretty.

Candles, mirrors, and confetti on a lace doily are cozy and romantic.


My Dad got me a dozen yellow roses, so of course those were the center piece on the table! 




I made some ~Rye Bread~ .
Attempted to get creative and put designs on top, but the bread rose so much that they kinda busted the designs right off! Haha!
So obviously I still have to master getting the patterns on bread.... 


I did decorate up a cake because I had to make a cake for my Wilton Cake Decorating classes last week & I used a boxed mix, which made 2 cakes.

So I tried out 2 decorating techniques... a little practicing in...


Sugar Cookies are definitely a classic for Valentine's Day!

This recipe is softer and delicious, plus you can do a little decorating if you like!



Sugar Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup lard
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 egg
Pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together.

Roll out on floured surface & cut into shapes, or form into a roll and make about 1 inch thick slices.
I put on these pink sprinkles before baking them, but if you are going to use icing, quite obviously you will wait until they are baked & cooled. 

Bake at 350F for 10-11 minutes, or until slightly golden brown. 
They should still be slightly soft and not burned! 


These cakes are so delicious, and are from the Little House on the Prairie Cookbook!

Mine were a little crispy this time as I over-baked them a tad, but still very delicious!

I always serve them with whipped cream & cinnamon but you could do berries or berry sauces, or caramel, or ice cream. 
Very versatile cake!


Heart Shaped Cakes

1 1/2 cups white flour, plus extra for dusting
1/3 cup white sugar, plus extra for dusting
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1/4 cup lard, chilled
1/3 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425F.

In a bowl mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and nutmeg.
With cold fingers (dipped in cold water and dried), rub the cold lard into the dry ingredients until crumbly.

Make a well in the center, add buttermilk, and work with one hand into a dough that can be rolled out.

Shape dough into a ball and roll out on a floured surface, into a 8 inch circle.
With a table knife dipped in flour, cut the circle in half, then the halves into thirds, to produce six equal wedges.
Shape each wedge into a heart.

Grease baking sheet and place hearts on it so they do not touch.

Bake for 13-15 minutes, until cakes are puffy and nicely browned.

Remove from oven and sprinkle tops immediately with sugar. 


In the left hand corner you see ~Chocolate Chip Bars~ , and then beside them cut up radishes.

I cut cheese and meat into heart shapes, and in the heart shaped bowls we have cinnamon hearts and chocolates.

Nothing too fancy but pretty and not an every day happening.

I also did a Valentine's Day swap with 3 of my best friends (The Gang of Four), so I especially enjoyed opening their mail on Valentine's Day!

Thanks again gang!


I did not get a photo of the streamers & hearts I had hanging up on the ceiling, or a few other red & lace things I put up, but I am sure you can imagine.

Well I hope you have gotten a few ideas from this post, and I would love to see what y'all did if you want to tweet or email me a photo! 

Hope you had a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment