Sunday 22 February 2015

La Kitchenette Souris: Kielke

Thought it was about time I introduced y'all to a very traditional Mennonite dish that you will often find being served around here.

Even at fundraising events, the typical foods they will often offer are cottage cheese perogies, sausage, cream gravy, kielke, puree, pie, cookies, bread.... 

People will pay quite a lot of money for good, home-made Mennonite dishes! 

I grew up eating a lot of these dishes on a regular basis so of course I want to master the art of cooking all of them & more this year.

So, what is kielke?

It is noodles, meat, onions, and cream gravy.
The noodles are home-made (boughten are only if you are feeling lazy! HAHA), the meat would be hamburger or ground sausage, the onions would be fried, & cream gravy is made of whipping cream, flour, salt, & pepper.

I didn't include onions in mine simply because I don't like them. *winks*
The noodles are my home-made ones.
And we like hamburger best on kielke.

There you have it! How to make kielke! 
It really is an easy dish, practical for a larger group, and you can make a lot of adjustments to make it suitable for those who eat gluten free, are lactose intolerant, or are vegetarian!



Gluten-free Ideas: Use gluten free noodles & use a bit of cornstarch to thicken the cream gravy instead of flour.

Lactose Intolerant Ideas: You could use soy or almond based "dairy" products to make a cream sauce. 
I have never tried making a lactose free cream sauce, but I know it's possible.
You would also have to use an soy/almond milk when making your home-made noodles!

Vegetarian Ideas: Substitute meat for beans. 
Beans are also a staple in Mennonite foods, so it works well!

1 comment:

  1. My family used to make something like this a lot except we always called it stroganoff. :) This makes me want to cook it again!

    ReplyDelete