Saturday 17 January 2015

La Kitchenette Souris: Featherbed Rolls & Blueberry Muffins

Two more staples in your average household~ buns & muffins! 

These rolls are different.... quite fluffy and delicious... but rather odd in the making process. 
If you follow the recipe precisely, they actually do turn out!
Served warm with butter is best!
I am testing them out as for how well they freeze at present, so can't answer that yet.

The muffins are amazing! The dough is very sticky, but they are a chewy type and a definite repeat for me! 
Again, served warm with butter is wonderful! 
You could also dip in whipped cream & cinnamon, and serve on a pretty little plate, with a paper doily under it... tea party style!


Featherbed Rolls


2 cups milk, scalded
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 eggs, well beaten
4 cups flour

1 package Traditional yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon sugar

Melt butter in warm milk. Add salt and 1/4 cup sugar. 

Combine yeast, warm water, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Let stand 10 minutes. 
Add to milk mixture. 

Add eggs and part of the flour. Beat well.
Mix in remaining flour with a mixing spoon.

Let dough rise until light ~ about 2 hours.
Beat down risen dough.
Place spoonfuls in buttered muffins tins, filling about 3/4 full.

Let rise again (which I actually didn't do!) & bake at 350F until down. (This took about 20-22 minutes in my oven)

Makes 2 dozen rolls, approx.


Blueberry Muffins


3/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup blueberries, frozen (Or slightly thawed~ I think fresh would work well too. You could also use other berries or even nuts or chocolate chips & this recipe would work fine)
2 Tablespoons flour
2 Teaspoons vanilla

Cream sugar, butter, beaten egg, and vanilla. Stir in milk.

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture. 

Toss blueberries with 2 Tablespoons flour and stir gently into batter, just until moist. 

Bake in muffin pans that have been greased or floured.
(I used paper cups, but I think next time I would try the above method, as the muffins are quite sticky and didn't peel out of the paper cups well)
Fill about 2/3 full.

Bake at 425F for about 12 minutes. (I did 15 minutes)

Makes 1 dozen. 

2 comments:

  1. These both look delicious. I have cooked for years, and actually cook quite a bit for my family, (Especially since mom was was on bedrest for so long, and then Lydia's arrival.) but I haven't ever made rolls. We always buy them if we are going to eat them. :) I think I'll have to try my hand at making some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those featherbed rolls have my DROOLING on my screen! I'm a simply bread lover at heart and I love an airy roll to slather in warm butter! Now I've had to add this recipe to my "to cook" list too!!

    Sed Bona

    ReplyDelete